James P. Gitkin
James P. Gitkin is a founding partner at Salpeter Gitkin LLP. Jim manages the firm's Personal Injury Department, representing injured people in all areas of personal injury, including automobile accidents, slip and falls, premises liability, products liability, medical malpractice, mass torts and wrongful death. He also serves as litigation counsel and advisor to various corporations and individuals, and represents clients in insurance disputes, consumer litigation, commercial litigation, Qui Tam cases and class actions.
Jim has tried cases in various jurisdictions in Florida and has argued before Florida's Fourth and Fifth District Courts of Appeal. His clients hail from throughout the United States, Canada, the UK and South America.
Jim is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Broward Justice Association, the Broward County Bar Association and the Florida Justice Association, where he previously served on the 2006-2007 Young Lawyers Board of Directors. He is licensed to practice before all state courts in Florida and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Jim started his career as a trial lawyer with the Miami-Dade County Public Defender's office where he tried more than 30 cases on behalf of individuals unable to afford an attorney. He then worked for several years at two of South Florida's prominent boutique law firms.
Jim was born and raised in Northern New Jersey. He received a Bachelor's degree in English from Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania, and a Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law, where he was a member of the International Moot Court Board, the International Moot Court Team and was a staff writer for the Res Ipsa Loquitur.
Jim currently resides in Weston, Florida, with his wife, twin sons and daughter. He is active in the community and enjoys exercising, playing basketball and spending time with his family in his free time.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Business Litigation
- Florida, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2003
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- J.D. cum laude
- Honors: International Moot Court Board, Member
- Honors: International Moot Court Team, Member
- Honors: Res Ipsa Loquitur, Staff Writer
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Major: English
Honors and Awards
- Named to Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Broward Justice Association, Member
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- Florida Justice Association, Young Lawyers Board of Directors, Member, 2006 - 2007
Past Employment Positions
- Miami-Dade County Public Defender's office, Trial Lawyer
Pro Bono Activities
- Weston Area Little League, Board of Directors, Member